Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Week Three as a Non-Smoker! And stuff that makes me mad...

Well, I've made it to week three, and couldn't be happier with my results! Still waiting to hear back from the fine folks who've helped me change my life, so that I can share it with you guys! I can breathe sooo much better...but I have to admit, my temper's just a touch thin, today.

Especially after this little discovery....some things are not what they appear to be!


Someone gave me this stuff. I tried it. I liked it- at first. And I loved that it was so natural- after all, argan oil and sweet almond oil? SIGN ME UP. I make a lot of my own beauty products, because long words in ingredients lists scare me- so I thought, hey, this is great, because it's natural stuff!

I was wrong. So very, very wrong.

It didn't have a box when I got it, so the ingredients weren't apparent. I had to look that up. Especially when I saw, in the directions, that you're not supposed to get it on your scalp. (Which, of course, I didn't notice at first.) And my skin started reacting rather unpleasantly, along the hairline, in the past few days.

Here's what's in that bottle:

Water (Aqua), Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Propylene Glycol, Polyacrylamide, Phenyl Trimethicone, Fragrance (Parfum), C13-14 Isoparaffiffin, PEG-8 Methicone, DMDM Hydantoin, Laureth-7, Butylene Glycol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Bismuth, Oxychloride (CI 77163), Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).

(Yes, really. You can check that out here. Click on the "learn" tab, and you'll "learn", too.)

No argan oil. No almond oil. Lots and lots of silicone and acrylic products, though. And some other things that I find...questionable. This is probably why my skin's so very, very unhappy right now. I'd look them up on the EWG Skin Deep Cosmetics Database, but I think I'll save that for later. The symptom (giant zits, anyone?) is enough of a treat, for today.

And so ends another episode of  "Stuff that makes me mad", brought to you by our friends at Unilever. On the plus side, I've run across a recipe that I had for hair pomade, made from beeswax and natural oils- think I'll be sharing that with you guys pretty soon!

2 comments:

  1. Argh, I hate greenwashing so much and I'm sorry you had a terrible reaction to this stuff!!! i know ppl who have used straight almond oil on their skin (or jojoba, or even argan oil pure) with great results though- so maybe that would be perfect for you?

    ps- so excited to hear about how the beeswax pomade turned out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can bet that I'll be trying the oils- as to the pomade, it's mainly for my boys, Thing One and Thing Two, as they're currently enamoured of the flat-top, LOL! I'll make sure and give you credit and a linkback, for the original recipe- thank you so much for your help to a mom in need! :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! Love hearing from you- it makes my day!