Friday, April 12, 2013

Heartbreak...the search continues.


The whole fan-damily- the big one's my fella! L-R: Mark, Thing Two, me, and Thing One

As I've mentioned before, my husband is a wonderful guy- he's got a great personality, is kind to animals and children, is kind to me (which, for me, is a HUGE change of pace), and is well-liked by everyone who knows him. He's a truly loveable, personable guy. I've also mentioned before that he was adopted, and that we're trying to find his birth-family. Somewhere out there, he has four older brothers, and who knows how many half-sibs. Yesterday, he found out that his bio-mom remarried, in 1971- finally! We had a clue as to what name she's gone by for all of these years. His birth certificates started looking like they might not be falsified after all! The Big Guy signed up for a free trial of Ancestry.com, and on a lark, checked out the names from his pre-adoption birth certificate, and subsequently discovered that his birth mom had remarried. So now we had two full, legal names to search with. We found her, AND her second husband, in Kelso, Washington, although there was no public phone number listing. Their ages, full names, everything, it all checked out! So we bought two short background checks, one for her husband, and one for her. We found out that her husband had passed away in the late '80's to early '90's, but she appears to still be alive, probably. There was no phone number, which was disappointing, but- BUT! There was an address! I was so excited for him! At this point, my beloved had some hope- there's a lot that you can do, once you have an address to work with!

Unless that address turns out to be a Chevron station. Yeah. Not so $&%^@$%@#% useful. And from the photos on Google, it appears that the gas station's been there for quite some time.

My man's heartbroken. And my heart is breaking, for him.

There's no moral to this story, but I do give you all a warning: those services that promise to get you all of the info that you need to find someone? They don't necessarily cross-check or fact-check. Obviously, they don't even check Google Maps, to ensure that the addresses they give out are legit. We got more useful information from Ancestry and the online phone books, than we did from the "people search" service that we used. You're buying a pig in a poke when you push that button, and there's no guarantees.

But oh God, how we'd hoped.

2 comments:

  1. Shannon KeplingerApril 15, 2013 at 9:35 AM

    Hey Heather have you guys tried spokeo.com to try and find his family it gives all kinds of info for free. Let me know if you find anything out. Love ya and miss you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, love and miss you too, Shannon! No, we haven't- at this point, we're going to try to go after the siblings angle, so maybe that'll help- I'll forward this to him right now. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! Love hearing from you- it makes my day!