Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Week 8- *two whole months* without smoking! Plus a case of the jitters...and some encouragement

It's now been two months without smoking- TWO WHOLE MONTHS! I'm not sure when I'll stop keeping track. Maybe never. But it's still fresh enough to give me a deep sense of satisfaction.

I must admit, I am suffering from the jitters, but it's not due to withdrawals- I'm still anxiously waiting to hear whether I've been selected for the 30 Day Electric Bike Challenge, sponsored by EVELO, makers of some mighty fine electric bicycles. I've given it a lot of thought, and I know I can do this. I've had a couple of people shake their heads, when I've told them what the Challenge is: basically, giving up all automotive transport, save for public transit or carpooling, for an entire month, and riding an ebike as much as possible- every errand, every trip. I think a couple of people think I'm a little nuts- but I know that it's do-able! And this is where I'm going to give those of you who are a little younger than myself a piece of advice, a little encouragement, and something to look forward to in the coming years.


People are always, ALWAYS going to tell you that you CAN'T. That you SHOULDN'T. And worst of all, that you WON'T. Bet you've gotten big ol' doses of that, and maybe it's beaten you down, some. I've heard these things, too, all my life- I've even said these things to myself, more than I'd like to admit. I sincerely hope that there is less of this going on now- Girl Power is a pretty recent thing, kids, and backwards thinking about lots of stuff is still prevalent in many, many places. But anyway, those people, and maybe you, yourself, say these things to you, when you're contemplating taking a new turn in your life, or even just want to wear a brighter color. You know what? It's a load of bull. I've figured something out: the longer you deny those voices, the more momentum you pick up. I will be 42, this year, and frankly, I wouldn't want to be in my 20's or 30's again- this is so much more fun! The beautiful thing about being in the fourth decade of my life is this: people don't actually say that I'm crazy, or stupid, or whatever, for trying to do the things that I do, anymore. Not to my face. They don't dare. I am not just getting older- I'm gaining momentum. By the time I'm 60, I fully expect to be an irresistible force. Or at the very least, moving so fast, they can't catch me! By 80, look out- I shall be a force to be reckoned with. And I don't plan on suffering fools gladly, either. It's going to be tremendous fun!

This is what you have to look forward to, gals, if you start now. And if you've already got some years on me? Check out your voices, inner and outer, and decide whether what they have to say is valid. Is what you're hearing holding you back, and holding you down? If it is, then get moving. A body (or a soul!) in motion tends to stay in motion, both literally and figuratively. Inertia works both ways.

This is a race that you can win.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, everybody! And have a GREAT day!

1 comment:

  1. FIngers are crossed and if anyone can accomplish this feat, I know it'll be you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! Love hearing from you- it makes my day!