Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving! So here's what we're NOT going to do...how 'bout you?


BLACK THURS/FRIDAY. WILL. NOT. HAPPEN. 
 Not for Casa Rodman. And not for anyone we personally know.
Our families don't do this. Our friends don't do this. I'm not hoity-toity enough to use the Royal "We" on this, but- WE DON'T DO THIS. Shopping on Thanksgiving, morning or evening, is a big, fat NO. 
I have, however, been signing petitions, writing emails, and otherwise letting various companies know how incredibly distasteful their early opening hours are. I used to work in nursing homes. I used to work in hospitals. I've done work that was necessary, during holidays, and I feel good about that.
But, also used to work in retail, where it was NOT. And I've worked a LOT of holidays. 
And I don't have to, now. It's nice. I don't take that for granted.

I will not shop on Thanksgiving. And I will definitely not shop at retailers and restaurants that don't have to be open on Thanksgiving, this entire holiday season. I'd like to give a big F.U. to the following: Walmart, Target, Michael's, Pizza Hut, Sears, Kmart, Kohl's, Macy's, Toys R' Us, Babies R' Us, JC Penney's, Best Buy, Staples, Sports Authority, and sadly, Fred Meyers (I am INCREDIBLY ashamed of you, Freddy's! Honestly, I thought you were better than that!). Eff all of you. Very, very much.

Someone on the Gawker family of sites said something about a bunch of us dressing up as zombies as an ironic protest in 2014, for Black Friday, but more importantly, on Thanksgiving Day. I think it's totally apropo. I would totally do this, and I know that the rest of Casa Rodman would, too. I'm no cosplay gal, but I still remember the recipe for GOOD fake blood, from Fangoria (by Savini himself, circa 1985 or so, no less), and I will use it. Because this is just NOT RIGHT. I really wish, though, that the retailers in question would just grab some taste, and knock it off. Better yet, maybe the American public would just stop making it worthwhile for them. It would be wonderful, if there was just no REASON for them to open early. 

In the meantime, before the big costume party (which I am seriously beggin' the Universe to grant, barring a sudden halt to this juggernaut of bad taste and lack of class), please think about NOT shopping on Thanksgiving. Even if you, yourself, have never had to work a holiday in your life, consider the people who have, do, and shouldn't have to. If you want to make that commitment in a pledge (it's free!), go HERE, to MoveOn's petition. It costs you nothing, but it might help to buy someone else a place at their family's dinner table, in the future.  

The more of us who stand up and say NO, then the more of us will be around the dinner table tomorrow, and for holiday dinners to come. 





2 comments:

  1. I could totally see you in fishnet stockings, short shorts and a top hat as a zombie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, but then I'd have to get the Big Guy to dress up as Lurch, and I'd have to brush up on my tap-dancing. (And my nasal singing! LOL) Thing One and Thing Two could be the Zombie Rocky Twins.
    Might be worth it, though- maybe Susan Sarandon and Tim Curry would join us! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! Love hearing from you- it makes my day!